View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2023, 09:48 (Ref:4148256)   #1815
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree with the Gow killing the BTCC line with the changes. I think a big threat is incoming Electric cars, and that's further off than we think - I reckon the 2030 ban on petrol sales will be put back. A bigger problem if the BTCC remains petrol is that there will be less cars suitable for rebuild as an NGTC machine (Unless it becomes the British SUV Championship)

Gow is only in his mid 60s, Bernie was nearly 90 when he gave up F1, and Gow is making serious money - he'll extend when the TOCA deal runs out I reckon.

The biggest threat overall though is bringing in new fans. Younger fans don't watch TV. Younger fans engage with social media and streaming. Shifting BTCC from ITV4 to the odd race on ITV1 is great, but in the long term it won't bring in new fans. F1 is getting things right, and the rest should follow. BTCC is never going to be that popular, but the disconnect in a changing digital world isn't good. Their YouTube views are rubbish, when you think of how much BARC livestreams grow when Jimmy Broadbent is racing it makes you wonder what goes on at BTCC. Look at their Youtube vids - many are only 3-6,000, a worrying amount under 1,000. Their Twitter/Insta/FB/TikTok strategy is terrible. THat's the threat. Even with small numbers TCR is building that for a younger market.

As for TCR, I don't think it's a stepping stone. As much as it's growing, it's still for those who can't afford BTCC, or who couldn't run at the front. Stuart Lines has said again and again that it's there because BTCC is too expensive. They all reckon it's a similar price to run in JCW Mini as a TCR, and even if they are slower I think they're mor relative, why? Because there's lots of contact, and the racing is similar to BTCC, and that budget for a year includes a bit of damage. TCR is pretty clean racing. because of that budget problem. The cars may be similar, but the driving isn't. They need to keep the cars in good shape dont they? Plus, one of the reasons it's cheaper is it's only 15 races.

I think the end game will see BTCC try to poach a modified TCR formula like DTM went ith a modified GT3 formula.