View Single Post
Old 3 Apr 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4150226)   #138
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given the increasing number of street circuits, the FIA really has got to get a handle on what to do if a car stops on circuit, even if way off the racing line (Hulk a good example at the weekend). If they cannot have any stopped car on circuit at any time, then there needs to be a process by which cars can be recovered/snatched very quickly, albeit it a safe manner - this may mean more marshals, cranes or changes in circuit architecture to ensure easier access to an escape route.
The current process seems to me that they just 'hope' there isn't a situation, and then they decide on the fly when one happens....and given these are happening at most races now, this is simply not defendable.
I also personally feel strongly that cars shouldn't be able to pit in a SC window, nor 'mend' cars in after a red flag - these to me give some advantages to teams out of luck and could incentivize things like what we saw at benetton with the complex politics across teams and allegiances.