View Single Post
Old 10 Apr 2023, 12:12 (Ref:4150948)   #1
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slicks: radial vs crossply?

OK, I'm sure this has been asked before, but what, essentially are the differences?

If I have a car that has been raced on Avon crossply slicks, and I want to run it on similar sized radials (simply on a cost/availability footing), then what are the pros & cons of doing this?

I've read that radials may require more neg camber than crossplys - is that the case generally? And also that radials offer more ultimate grip, but are less communicative about their intentions to let go at the limit - is that also true?

The car is front engine/rear drive, around 670Kg, has some aero (front splitter/spoiler, rear wing & diffuser), circa 250BHP and has fully adjustable rose-jointed suspension.

I've been racing for years, but never before on slicks, so this is new to me. Any advice greatly appreciated.