View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2023, 09:43 (Ref:4151965)   #161
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
But what you're describing isn't BoP - it's EoT, which is what we had before. The very fact that the FIA makes adjustments to the BoP is an example of this. The potential of the car hasn't changed. They adjust on the actual performance. This is how BoP works, and how the WECs BoP in the GTE classes has historically worked. This is what opens up BoP to gaming (see Ferraris sandbags with the GT). If you're adjusting on potential, then Ford would never have been able to sandbag. Adjustments were done on performance.

What we have here is an EoT system, called a BoP system, in an attempt to get manufacturers to join cheaply and be promised the shot at wins.
Maybe is EOT more than BOP, but I like this approach. When someone challenges Toyota and beats them will be on merit and not because the Toyota's were slowed down (as with the Rebellions and last year with the Alpine)

On your last point, I think the issue is selling to teams that they can design and bring whatever they like and be competitive - Peugeot is proving that just being funky does not mean you will be competitive. There is a reason racing car designs have been similar for decades
I would not mind Peugeot being slower than the Toyota but slightly faster than the new cars as they already have 5 or more races under their belt, but being slower than the other manufacturers is a concern as Ferrari, Porsche and Cadillac will develop further