View Single Post
Old 3 May 2023, 19:25 (Ref:4154383)   #195
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
And in terms of 'slightly difficult to overtake,' I just think that drivers are now far less likely to take a risk and try a difficult overtake because they are so used to racing with DRS and not having to take much of a risk to get it done, and the longer we go on with it still in place (and crucially being in place in junior formulae), the worse that will get. I am probably being too harsh on the drivers in general, but I think it does have a small effect.

It is not quite the same, but in Jeddah we had an example of Verstappen considering a dive down the inside of someone, then deciding not to because he knew he would be able to easily get them down the straight instead with DRS.
Ok, I get your point. I think your last comment is the situation I feel really describes it. If a driver knows he can make a safer DRS pass within the next lap or so (and waiting a lap or so is not going to be particularly detrimental) then yes, they will not take a risky attempt if they know a successful execution is just a few corners away.

But what about when DRS doesn't solve the problem? While I think DRS trains are maybe less of a thing these days, I think they can still exist. And in a way that is showing us what it might look like if there is no DRS. Drivers have already employed the "easy button", but it's not working. They are stuck behind someone, someone is stuck behind them, and so on. So all they have left is legacy strategies for passing. And in many (most?) that also doesn't work. It may take a many laps to be resolved, or maybe not resolved at all! I think the times when it does work is when there is an underlying difference in performance anyhow (car/driver is better than the leading car/driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
My view is very simple. Do away with DRS and don't replace it. At least try it in some of the sprints. See what happens. We've become totally paranoid now about drivers needing something artificial to allow them to race.
I was out of town all this past weekend so I have not yet watched the race ( I am not sure I will as reports say it was a snoozer.). So my comments regarding the race are only based upon what I have read here and elsewhere. But there is also reports that claim part of the reasoning for the lack of interesting on track action was DRS zone reduction and difficulty in passing.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...olff/10463556/

Toto's comments might be a bit of sour grapes, but I find some comments in the article interesting

Quote:
Even if you are within 0.2 of a second, it is very difficult to overtake, nearly impossible to overtake, unless the other driver makes a mistake.
Quote:
Azerbaijan GP race winner Sergio Perez said: “I feel these cars are generating a bit more downforce, and by generating that little more downforce, the car behind struggles a little bit more to follow.

“In my opinion, it wasn’t the right thing to shorten up the DRS, because it's getting harder to overtake than last year already in itself, so it's something we should review.”
This is the race winner complaining!

To my point I made earlier. Are we saying drivers are actively choosing to NOT pass in situations where DRS is not working for them? Drivers are actively giving up positions because it is not easy enough? If the answer to that is "no" then how do we think just dropping DRS is going to have significantly different results then what we are seeing in races in which DRS (as configured for that race) does NOT help much. Is there any logic that says it will be anything but worse than today?

Richard