View Single Post
Old 15 May 2023, 15:42 (Ref:4156274)   #290
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Are they? I expect those that perform well have a mixture of operating scenarios.
assumption on my part, but the top teams probably dont feel this is necessary so focus on building a front running car and as they sell more parts/concepts to the smaller teams and/or those smaller teams copy the design philosophies of the top teams, you get what we have now, a filtering down of a design ethos where everyone is, intentionally or not, building towards the goal of having a front running car?

add in the budget cap and one wonders how much can be spent on running your wind tunnel and or using CFD time on the effects of running mid pack/optimizing for a wider ranger of scenarios.

although, i think the more straightforward answer is that if this wasn't true, then why are so many of the new rule changes (from DRS to new rear wing configurations brought in by FOM) aimed squarely at moving the teams into building cars that are easier to follow?

rather, what is the incentive for any team in F1, even a back marker team to designing a car that is easier to follow unless they are forced to?

for me DRS strikes at the heart of this problem by trying to eliminate, perhaps even unfairly, the advantage by design the car out front has.