Thread: Monza chicanes
View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2023, 16:46 (Ref:4161080)   #8
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I still think they could do it. I don't think the barrier at Curva Grande would need to be moved back. Yes it would be a fast corner, but there are plenty of fast corners at Jeddah, for example, with a wall on the outside which would be just as dangerous if somebody got it wrong at high speed. If a car spun off at Curva Grande having not taken the chicane first they would still have that short trip through the gravel before hitting a barrier, which could be made as safe as possible. What would make that any more dangerous than someone spinning off at any other fast corner on the calendar (like Verstappen at Copse, for example)? As for the other two chicanes, I know the track would need to be moved to turn it into more of a single corner, but that has been done at other tracks, has it not? It would be slightly expensive but F1 could afford it easily, considering how much better it would make the Monza track. The question is about run-off and the speed of a potential crash there, but again I don't think this is any more dangerous than any other track, including the new last corner in Spain, for example.

Unless there are some specific rules which I don't know about which say that these corners are just over the line in terms of safety? Richard Casto's mention of the required run-off suggests that they might be. But they don't seem particularly dangerous to me, as a non-expert, compared to any other fast corner in Formula 1.

I can see it is not straightforward and might be difficult to make is safe, but I don't think it is impossible.
Pretty much everything at Monza is heavily protected by law.

And it would destroy a unique circuit and atmosphere.

Not to mention the lack of practicalities of moving the track, Curva Grande would be massively quicker than Copse, where there is around double the runoff anyway.

If you haven't been there I would highly recommend trying to visit and taking the time to explore fully, including the inside of the GP loop, the club circuit, obviously as well as the banking.