Thread: Monza chicanes
View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 2023, 15:10 (Ref:4163881)   #30
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What I mean is I'd rather see drivers using their skill to overtake than pushing a button.
Understand. I can't remember who or where, but there was a similar sentiment on the forum recently. I think it might have been in the "DRS time to go" thread.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157084

I think the general thought was... drivers use DRS instead of trying to pass using classic techniques, so we only see DRS passing (in general) With the idea that if DRS was gone, we would see a resurgence of passing using those classic techniques. I think my response is buried in that thread, but I think it might boil down to something like.. Yes, drivers may wait to attempt a DRS pass if that option exists and is easier/less risky. But I also think fans underestimate the difficulty in performing classic passes (given the situation in F1 today including relative performance parity), how frequently that would occur (much less than today) and if fans would be ok with that reduced frequency (some here, yes, vast majority, probably not).

I also would be in favor of minor track changes that increase the quality of racing or create passing opportunities. I think the challenge is converting that goal into reality. In that... if it was easy, it would have already been done.

Richard