Thread: UK DRAG RACING
View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2023, 20:20 (Ref:4166878)   #13
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love it, I'm a huge fan and every time I go to spectate, I leave wanting to sell everything I own and buy something I can race.

I grew up walking distance from Santa Pod. On any given weekend you could hear everything Pro Mod and upwards from our back garden and I went a few times as a kid in the late 1990s.

As I got older and had adult money and a means of getting myself there, I would go to anything and everything because it used to be SO cheap to get in. Sadly that's not the case so much anymore so I pick and choose what I attend.

This year I'm spreading myself around a bit so my only visit has already happened at Doorslammers in May, which I think is probably the year's best event. There's no Top Fuel but it's the closest to old fashioned drag racing as you can get these days (although with a lot of more modern cars), you get grudge races between classes, there's effectively no rules in Pro Doorslammer and in previous years you've had Pro Mods competing with the boost turned up, or the ballast removed to get them below their normal class minimum.

Dragstalgia is also brilliant, and this year, John Willard has brought over the Aussie Outlaw to race in Outlaw Anglia, where it looks like he'll set a new class record, all being well. He's already managed a 6.7 off the trailer and backed it up with 3 more since, over the past couple of weeks.

The thing which has really exploded in recent years is FWD. This time ten years ago I posted on another forum and someone was keeping track of all the front wheel drive cars in Europe who had ran 10 seconds or faster. There was 23 cars and the record was 8.99. Now there's 191 cars and the record is 7.86! At Doorslammers there was a 70 car entry list for the class, which according to the commentary team is the biggest of any entry list for any class anywhere in Europe.