View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2023, 04:23 (Ref:4169244)   #87
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
How is the nose mounted? And how is the mould formed round the nose bit?
I have no idea. I’d love to see. Looked unlikely, but maybe they were confident it was OK?

It was certainly mad that it looked like it was ripping. Normally when these things are damaged it is the actual wing bits.

He was very lucky. Especially as it only lost him a little time too.

I would like to know more about the cars as well. They have been around forever, it's not like there are so many changes that the "journalists" that cover the series couldn't keep up with them.

I have never seen the DW12 up close but it looks to me that the nose cone might be held on with a four point attachment. Likely two pins at the bottom and two camlocks at the top. There might be two pins at the top as well. The way I picture it the nose cone slides onto the pins which are parallel to the road surface, then the camlocks are engaged to keep the cone attached to the tub.

It appeared to me that the pins and camlock on the right side of Palou's car were broken by the impact and the nose stayed attached solely by the fasteners on the left side. The nose cone appeared to be stiff enough to remain intact for a long time but as the race went on it broke down, causing the wing to drag lower and lower.

I do think it was a possible hazard to other drivers. Considering how things have gone for RLL this year I expected the wing to fall off into Lundgaard's path before he got around Palou. Luckily that didn't happen. I don't know what the rule book says but if I was in charge and the call was within my discretion I would have black flagged Palou at least by the point that the nose cone was visibly disintegrating.