View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2023, 03:44 (Ref:4172246)   #14
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Qualifying Result

Looks like things may have turned around for RLL, as they lock out the front row, with Grahan Rahal taking his first pole since June 2017, at Detroit. Jack Harvey gets into the top ten with 8th spot.

Not such a good a result for Team Penske, who have won this race twice before.

Another good for showing for Honda.
RLL seems only to be able to make the cars work at certain tracks. I'll believe they have turned the corner if they put a couple of cars in the top ten at Gateway. My guess is that they will be reasonably competitive at Laguna Seca with the new pavement.

I'm really happy for Graham. He gets so much online hate despite all he has done to promote the series. We wouldn't have the Iowa races and Hy-Vee's sponsorship at other tracks without him. I think that he's much like his dad in that both require(d) a car that suited them to be competitive. I remember races at Milwaukee and Phoenix with Bob when our car was mid pack, particularly the 1984 Milwaukee race when we finished behind.....Dick Simon. 7th place at Indy after a mid pack qualifying was also disappointing. We improved the car a lot before the next short oval (Sanair) where Bob was on pole and finished second. At the last 1984 oval race Bob's results were reversed with a win from 2nd on the grid. My point is that the car/setup is a majority of the equation. Graham proved today that he is still fully capable. The question is whether the team can deliver cars that are consistently up to the task.