Thread: Official Italian Grand Prix
View Single Post
Old 12 Sep 2023, 21:15 (Ref:4176476)   #74
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a personal opinion, I tend to think Perez is actually pretty decent with working traffic to move forward. I seem to remember seeing him make aggressive and successful passes at times.

But... He is also in the best car, so it should be much easier for him to do that. He clearly is not Max and is not able to carve through the field in a way that Max can. So I would say overall not bad, but not showing the full potential of that car on a regular basis.

I can be a broken record as to my opinion as to what makes a driver "great". My opinion is that they first need to have the pure speed and ability to extract the most from a given car. But they also need to be very consistent. While everyone has a bad day, the number of their "bad days" should be much less than others. You make your own luck and also suck it up and use what you have. For me Perez has the same problem that a number of other drivers on the grid have. They can occasionally have great drives and then at the next race, be relatively pedestrian and have a significant negative gap to their teammate.

I am a firm believer in the "Peter Principle" and that it applies just about everywhere including F1 drivers. I would say that given how good the RB car is, Perez has risen to his "level of respective incompetence". He is performing much less than the car's performance level. The saving grace for him in the short term is that the even with him not performing much closer to Max (a very hard job), he is also outperforming everyone below him. That becomes more of a problem if/when other teams catch up with Red Bull.

Richard