View Single Post
Old 10 Oct 2023, 11:37 (Ref:4180852)   #90
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Surely it is about the amount of interest there is in the country and a past culture of racing.
If that were to be the only reason to race at a particular venue - I feel that would make the sport very insular in nature. I would put forward the idea that the sport has to expand into other markets to allow the future fandom to grow.

If you took the requirement to have a past culture literally, then Japan's entry onto the calendar in 1976 or Brazil's in 1972 should be challenged. But, both of those countries have gone on to build a history and seem to be more than accepted as countries to race in. Bahrain is building a history having hosted 20 GPs, just behind's Mexico with 22.

How does a country build a culture of racing, if the pinnacle of Formula Racing does not visit there?
How do you build a history of F1 racing in a country, if you are never allowed to host your 1st race?

I can accept that moving too fast into a new market, at the detriment of others, can be a bad move. But IMO, F1 should not be dismissive of new locations just because of a lack of history.