View Single Post
Old 12 Oct 2023, 17:22 (Ref:4181144)   #20
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Everyone seems to be using Monaco with its walls as the basis for comparisons. Monaco is a freak track, and at the risk of annoying absolutely everyone on this thread, I don't think that is the best comparison at all.
I think you are missing the point of using Monaco as the example. The point is... in some places in Monaco the edge of the circuit is lined with barriers. There may be a hypothetical "faster" line, but that would include driving through the barriers. Somehow, magically, the drivers manage to not hit the barriers all the time. That is the point. The drivers CAN keep the cars on the circuit if incentivized enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
We don't tend to get multiple track limit infringements at plenty of "normal" tracks that don't have walls. Why is that?
Why? The optimal racing line does not take out outside of the circuit limits. In short, the driver doesn't have to "give something up" (slow more, different apex, etc.) to make the corner work optimally. One answer (and maybe a valid one) is to dumb down all of the circuits. If people run wide in a corner, then widen the exit on the outside. And I do think some corners might need some adjustments if they are egregious and pervasive offenders. But in general IMHO they should use a light touch when doing this. Why make it so much easier for the driver? We already complain that F1 is "too easy" for the drivers.

Imagine if there were little or no curbs on circuits and everything was well paved. Just painted lines. Chicanes would be shortcut to the fullest extent. Everyone would run super wide on fast sweepers that lead to long straights in attempts to carry as much speed through and out of the corner. And not all corners are equal with respect to impact on lap time. So we will see some corners be problems more than others.

Richard