View Single Post
Old 16 Oct 2023, 22:02 (Ref:4181766)   #75
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
More from the FIA re engines for Andretti. Interesting that Alpine believes that it's not so simple due to Concorde Agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
And whom does Andretti have a long standing relationship with?
The motor company in Japan is a major hint, and it begins with the letter H.

Had the same thought the moment that I saw the original Alpine story - no question that Honda has a better engine & a more likely supplier for Andretti, might even have a deal done that Alpine doesn't know about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm not sure Alpine is allowed to refuse a deal. They currently do not supply customer engines to anyone, whilst Mercedes supplies 3 customers, Ferrari supplies 2 customers, and Honda supplies 1 customer (technically, with the RBPT stuff). Alpine would be forced to supply engines if the entry was approved, so their opinion on what constituetes a deal doesn't mean anything. We should ask Piastri about Alpine contracts lol
On the face of it, you're right, although the question of how much time Alpine or anyone else needs for production of engines for a new customer could be critical for when a new entry actually starts competing. In the article I've linked above, Bruno Famin from Alpine is suggesting not so simple due to the Concorde Agreement - so maybe the FIA regs and Concorde Agreement don't talk to each other so well on this subject?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I think there are two perspectives on this...

2. Part of the argument for Andretti is that they are bringing GM with them. But it was understood that given the timeframe this was likely to be a badging effort in the short term. So for example, what if Andretti gets an entry and then GM backs out after Andretti is in? What if GM backs out before Andretti gets in? Should either situation impact Andretti's chances?

Richard
Covered your first point above Richard but the 2nd one is kinda where I was heading with my first post on the engine question. My understanding is that applicant teams wanting to enter the series had to jump though a series of hoops to prove that they were capable etc etc and one of those hoops was having an engine. Seems moot given the FIA regs on engine supply though. The GM branding / possible engine is one of the key selling points that Andretti has put on the table for entry and for "adding value to F1" so I'd suggest that is likely to be one of the areas that FOM is looking at most closely, to confirm details and commitment.