View Single Post
Old 5 Nov 2023, 16:10 (Ref:4184578)   #579
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I almost want to bring up 2006 in the ALMS where there were constant race to race BOP changes in GT1 and LMP1, but almost nothing got done in LMP2 or GT2. GT2 provided excellent racing with minimal performance balancing changes. However, Intersport basically got shafted by comparison with Dyson in LMP1, when both where facing factory teams (Penske/Porsche in LMP2, Audi Sport in LMP1). Not to mention that the Porsche RS Spyder was a $1.5 million USD car in a class meant for privateers, and out-priced most LMP1 cars of the era.

And don't get me started on GT1. That could've been solved by Prodrive splurging on Michelin tires instead of the junk Pirelli offered them outside of LM (where AMR did run on Michelins).

And in LMP1, you do have to remember that Dyson struggled against a by then ages old Audi R8 that was running 2003 spec air restrictors and 35 kgs of ballast. What did they expect against the R10 that above all else was built to take advantage of the new ACO/IMSA aero and chassis regs, and a new to racing technology (diesel) that was just being explored?

But then even there we have a chicken vs egg scenario. Was Audi's advantage diesel, being the only fully OEM backed team in LMP1 at the time with huge experience and resources, or a combination of the two?

I agree that BOP should attempt to equalize potential, but should not try to neuter experience or skill. Where IMO it gets the rep as being "sports entertainment" is due to constant tinkering--especially unannounced--and especially nowadays where the cars are generally so reliable that people get the "rigged/fixed" taste in their mouths.

This of course isn't new and sanctioning bodies being involved in or accused of conspiracies of race fixing have been around forever, either to get a desired result, or for entertainment purposes. I'm not saying that that's what happened at LM or the WEC championship, since I'm not a big believer in such conspiracies without conclusive evidence. But I understand how some can have those feelings.