View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2023, 23:04 (Ref:4185761)   #22
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, we had a similar situation with my mother-in-law, who was, I guess, in her mid-eighties at the time. We'd got her a bright green Nissan Micra a few years earlier in the hope that, A) she'd find it easy to manage, being just about the easiest of cars to drive and, B) that at least the loud colour meant others might see her coming!

It wasn't too long before there was barely a straight panel on it - she was a woeful driver even in her youth. Years earlier, when collecting her husband from the hospital after a heart attack, she nearly put him straight back in there with a second one when her foot slipped off the clutch at the car park exit as she was trying to put the coins in the slot - took out the barrier and the car's windscreen in the process!

Anyway, we were wondering how to broach the subject of her driving (in)ability, and how to suggest that perhaps she should consider giving up, when the matter was taken out of our hands as she smacked into the back of a van which, apparently, she didn't see in time as she rounded a turning into a side road (the van was legally parked!). Fortunately, the insurance wrote the car off and we were just keeping our fingers crossed that she didn't ask me to find her another car. Luckily - and maybe the penny had dropped - she never did ask, and we never said any more about it. She never drove again, which was surely a blessing for all other road users!