View Single Post
Old 15 Nov 2023, 14:59 (Ref:4186011)   #122
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
That’s the point.
It’s not a great display of prowess to contract rather than expand is it?
Waxing lyrical about why Penske did it, when those cars are not likely fully commercially funded racers doesn’t inspire confidence in being able to run an F1 team likely needing at least $200m a year plus capital plus dilution fee.

Or am I missing something
I think maybe you are trying to make to much out of it, or maybe infer too much as to the F1 entry?

I mean, sure Andretti would love to be setting the world on fire in Indycar. The same could be said for a number of F1 teams. I mean if we want to pick and choose various statistics, lets look at Ferrari. Last WDC in 2007 and last WCC in 2008. They clearly should just pack it in as they clearly are not getting the job done. Andretti has won Indy 500 as recent as 2017 and the championship in 2012. Clearly Andretti is doing better than Ferrari. Maybe Ferrari should be removed from the F1 championship to make room for a much better organization like Andretti. I say this tongue in cheek, but the point is you can knock anyone about if they are not currently winning. And it ends up being a poor argument for F1 inclusion (or not).

I don't follow Indycar much at all, but I think the ability to shrink or grow teams is a fantastic capability within Indycar. If you look at the 2023 season you will see teams running running any number of cars including partial programs. With Andretti on the high side of four full season cars. The flip side of this is lots of pay drivers in those extra cars. From reading the article, it sounds like Andretti has recently been running a pay driver in a fourth car to bring funding to the team. But that is just not going to work for 2024. I suspect they could have run a fourth car all season, but maybe nobody was willing to pay what Andretti wanted/needed? And then you have Penske who is doing well and just just runs three. Maybe four is too many and maybe can distract your team? Maybe moving to three cars is a good thing? I feels like it is just grasping for reasons to knock Andretti. Reasons that can be easily applied to just about anyone but the very tip top of any series.

Richard