Old 8 Dec 2023, 13:11 (Ref:4188646)   #7
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I saw a few comments on Facebook talking about the return of a circuit rally event to Croft, so I live in hope that rallycross might return there at some point.

The Legend festival might justify the trip? Obviously we are a long way off entries yet, but if they can pull in a good haul of European retro cars/drivers then it should be a decent weekend and could be worth the journey.
Yes rallying is back at Croft, but in an article I saw a while back, can't remember where, the circuit manager seemed to suggest they ended for separate reasons.

In his words 'it's not for us to support local rallying' or something along similar lines. The inference was support as in financially. Presumably it was a money thing, which has now been resolved.

Rallycross was due to dwindling meetings, which is a fair point and the resurfacing of the track, which cost 850k. After the demise of the Superprix the meetings for me had started to dwindle. The GP was OK for a couple of years but the format didn't really work I felt. All into together meant the 2WD stuff didn't have a chance and it was noticeable that numbers dropped off as did overseas entries. BTRDA offered something, particularly that one off 2WD masters they ran. Think it was this where they had a separate supercar class as well and a few top cars came out for fun or to test. Last British meeting I attended was pretty boring to be honest. Low numbers for Croft and very processional racing.

Legends might be an option if entry strong. Realistically though it will mean an overnight, which will shove the cost up. Only get to a few meetings every year but haven't decided what I'm doing next year yet, so could be an option. Always try and make one event further afield.