Thread: Gen 3 progress
View Single Post
Old 8 Dec 2023, 23:45 (Ref:4188691)   #134
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
You make a lot of sense imo.
Unfortunately the words are just all hot air and somewhere down the line someone will work out that smacking the same brick wall does not give a solution because SC refuse to publicly recognise the problem, after all there are supposedly some bright people in the category. Perhaps some do recognise the issues but the management can't tolerate the changes needed. If that is the case they are on a downward spiral with not much future.

Given what is happening in the industry I can't understand why there is no planning for when the current car format is dead and buried and all of a sudden there are no suitable cars but I have asked that before so I have no expectation of an answer. Why anyone would invest significant money in a category and not recognise that it has no long term future due to industry changes beats me. They must think the category will defy all the changes which are taking place but the whole car racing movement seems to be on the same blind path unfortunately apart from FE.

Back to SC's current problems, maybe what they need to do is run some "engineering" races that are specifically for seeking changes to level the performance over a longer period but are not public and recognising they have to move out of the regulation framework now in place and explore what may be possible. I tend to agree that aero is not the hard answer as most race tracks in Oz are fairly low speed apart from the obvious one Bathurst. Cars change behaviour, drivers do as well over long distances and trends are established so long distance testing should give answers that cannot be seen on an airstrip or in a wind tunnel.

I would not be surprised if the team that tried to get the two motors to perform the same told SC management it won't work and management decided to ignore their advice and go ahead anyway. I can't believe with the huge differences that are seen on track weren't known from day one and those involved just decided to wing it and try and sort things out on the run.

All just my opinion and I can be as wrong as the next person so it is all hot air and a lot of fan discussion takes place with no understanding of the engineering problems.