View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2024, 13:13 (Ref:4192288)   #67
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the difference is (again I need to repeat) I USED to be that guy I don't really know what changed, I say AGAIN, I used to be the guy looking forward to car reveals, the guy watching practice sessions, was only a few years ago even the last period of V8's.

I can nail down a few factors. David Croft is certainly one, the most useless overrated cretin I think who has ever been let loose behind a mic, that is a factor in my lack of interest. And linked to that the selling of the sport to pay tv etc. Even though I have free access to SKY oddly.

The hybrid cars lost me from day one, and I hoped they would eventually pull back, but they just sound miserable, I know they were probably fine live but I cannot justify spending hundreds of pounds, that is my yearly racing attendance budget.

f1 cars do not LOOK pretty anymore, they look like trucks, yes there is amazing design but it is all silly little winglets and lips and odd stuff, that is the edges, a car like a 640 or Tyrrell 019 that wowed you as it was so different, they all look very similar as do liveries and helmets etc.

The drivers are OK, I think there are interesting characters in there, but you hear them on the radio and instantly your heart sinks at times, most of it is OK, but the petulant crybaby stuff, sorry it's like footballers rolling about for me, grow a pair and be a man for goodness sake. They are almost told what to do I hate that aspect too, it has always been this way in recent years, but I do not like this, a driver should be left alone to work out HIS way of winning or getting the best result, 50 overpaid people sitting behind screens does not make it more interesting does it?

You can say that is progress, I can say that removes the ability of certain drivers to make the difference, that is why the grid is closer, because the rules are so tight every car is almost the same, the drivers are mollycoddled and simulated to within an inch of their life to be fractions apart. IS that better? I dont think so sorry. it leaves imagination, eccentricity, personality out of the loop. They are automatons at times.

Then the final aspect,m in what world should Stroll, or anyone like him be in this sport for that long, just because he is rich, yes it has always been there, but they dont usually hang around for this long!