View Single Post
Old 8 Feb 2024, 22:38 (Ref:4195803)   #59
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah, that's what worries me.....
The more I think about this, the more I can imagine it might happen. And I think the way to write the rules could be done in a more straightforward way. I think it would work out something like this...

1. Cars would be defined to have roughly a specific exterior surface area that would be a candidate for some type of paint. This would be a value they would work out and we be a fixed values for all cars. This could be negotiated down to a less than 100% value.

2. Similar to the above, there would be considered to be a practical minimum thickness of paint and the same goes for minimum paint density. This minimal density should allow for enough pigment in the paint to produce colorful cars. It could be more complicated to address base, color and clear coat, but no doubt they could create a workable solution.

The minimal painted area X thickness X density would generate a specific anticipated weight in which the teams couldn't get around. So they might as well use pigmented paint to provide a more "classic" style of livery.

Teams would be expected (via the regulations) to do the following

* Paint the entire exterior to meet the minimum exterior surface area coverage requirement
* Use paint that meets the density requirements (to prevent teams from using ultra low density... such as with low or minimal pigmentation... to circumvent the intent of the regulations)
* FIA would use something such as ultrasonic paint thickness gauges to measure a specific set of locations on a car, but would be able to spot check any other location on the car. Samples of paint from the car can be taken at any time to verify paint density.

Richard