View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2024, 17:19 (Ref:4196570)   #331
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I think that 3 teams have possibly earned the right to have a dilution fee, Ferrari, McLaren and Williams, but the rest are really just Johnny Come Latelys although they have come up through the ranks, apart from Haas, having bought existing teams, and are all now hanging on to the coat tails of the 3 originals. Considering the amount of money that Red Bull have put in to F1, they may well be also considered with the 3.

However, the true value of any of the teams is what anyone would be prepared to buy them for if it came to a distressed sale.
I tossed out a relegation idea in this or another thread recently. The logic might be that if over a multi-year period of time (probably 3-5 yrs?) that if you continue to be at (or near the bottom) that your entry could be revoked or you might be forced to sell the entry.

From a business perspective, it would not be the best. But the business perspective is to maintain a monopoly which is also not good. I don't know if NASCAR still has this issue, but they used to have teams that would enter a car just to run a few laps and retire the car and they could make a profit via revenue sharing and/or prize money. They added no real value to the racing or entertainment.

I think there is room for some system to replace habitually poor performers that are able to stay afloat due to the economics alone and not due to on track performance.

Richard