Thread: 2024 Rallying
View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2024, 09:26 (Ref:4198298)   #48
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Hello rally fans, it's been a while. How are we all doing?
Welcome back

Quote:
I caught up with the action from Sweden yesterday; the conditions reminded me of rally Sweden from the early to mid-2000s. It looked fantastic so that even when the overall winner was more or less guaranteed I didn't mind so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Just caught up on the coverage this morning. Stages looked fantastic and back the Rally Sweden of old.
Agreed - the conditions looked really good this year and the snowbanks were there in all their glory. It looked like the stages held up pretty well so we didn't see the problems with them cutting up really badly like they have done in recent years.

Quote:
Going further back in time to the Monte, Neuville's speed was just staggering. Has any Hyundai driver ever had such confidence in the car? That must have been the sweetest of sweet spots in terms of car setup, driver feel, pace notes, the lot. He was untouchable really.
Before the event I assumed Ogier would just disappear into the distance and win with ease. Neuville certainly looked to have the car hooked up all weekend, it seemed to be one of those weekends where everything came together for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Second placed Evans gets more points than winner Lappi.........Tells you everything about the current WRC......
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Superb performance by Lappi and Formeaux (not sure that's spelt right!). Title chase already looks interesting.
The points system is certainly odd, there's no way the event winner should be leaving with less point than anyone else. Pleased for Lappi to get the win though, enjoyed his stage end interviews as well Formeaux had a great event too - I must admit I don't really have high expectations of him but he certainly put in a good drive and took advantage of others failings to pick up a strong result. A little bit gutted for Katsuta, he was quick in Sweden last year and had good pace again this year, he looked to be on for a great result until a small error took him into the snowbank. On the flip side Rovanpera never really looked like he got into the groove at all, he even described his own driving as "embarassing" at one point.

Sweden is probably my favourite rally of the season and it certainly delivered again this year. The only real downside is the lack of depth in the Rally1 field, a couple of retirements and it all looks a bit thin at the front.