View Single Post
Old 8 Mar 2024, 07:58 (Ref:4200440)   #6594
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Dale Coyne;s been around for years and still keeps going. He started in CART as an owner/driver in 1984. He had his own chassis for a while, the DC-1, in which he finished 12th at Sanair in '86. That was his best result, along with 12th at Cleveland that year. He then switched to a March chassis and was also 12th at Miami in '88 and attempted the 500 a couple of times in '88 and '89. He then retired from racing as a driver.

Dale Coyne Racing's first win was with Justin Wilson in 2009, at Watkins Glen. Their last was with Sébastien Bourdais in 2018 at St. Pete. In total they have 6 wins and 2 poles. Their best result recently was with David Malukas, who was 3rd at Gateway.

Dale Coyne DC-1

Dale came in near the end of the era when a very low budget team could still manage the occasional good result. As an example I remember John Morton's top ten finish in the 1984 LBGP in the Centerline Wheels Eagle. I don't think that team ran more than a handful of races in total, and it may have been a one-off drive in the car for Morton. At that time I would never have expected Dale to still be involved in the sport forty years later, and certainly never expected to see his team win races. I can't think of another Indycar team from that era that still exists other than DCR and Team Penske.

I wish Dale could have retained Malukas for another year. There were a couple of races last season where he looked to have a shot at winning. Seems like switching drivers form race to race is going to make it tougher to get results.