Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2024, 21:54 (Ref:4205084)   #4322
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Nicely explained.

I think if it were an open system (new entries being allowed), you can do what you want. But with a closed system with only 10 teams, I think they should have a much ownership diversity (team independence) as they can. While junior teams say they are "in it to win it", I think there is always doubt as to if that is true or not. For example, lets say that hypothetically RB managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat and perform better than RBR. Do we think that RBR would not be ensuring at the ownership level that technology flows from RB to RBR in a way that wouldn't if both teams were independently owned? I know that teams are required to own their own IP on specific names items, and transfer of IP to other teams is not a "winning solution", but I see no reason why a way couldn't be found, within the rules, to move knowledge and staff (such as not enforcing gardening leave if staff move between jointly owned teams) around to ensure RBR gets the RB secret sauce. Is this happening today? For sure not at the level I say above, but I think the potential exists and while this ability may benefit the owner of multiple teams it is not a benefit for the sport or the commercial side of F1 for things like that to happen.

Richard
with all due respect Richard, I don't agree with this for the reasons that teams can buy gearbox/suspension/engines from another team legally.

The only 'technology' that actually seems to differentiate the teams is intellectual aerodynamic understanding.
And that is creating differences measured in tenths of a second between the ten teams over a 3-4 mile distance, less on some circuits.
The relative differences are very small in terms of overall time and speed, and in my opinion, aerodynamic understanding should not be the sole issue deciding whether championships are won or lost.

That is why I don't regard the current regulations and millions spent on development as particularly useful.
We need a ruleset that will actually focus more on mechanical knowledge in roadholding/handling engineering.
It would be far more useful.

One of the problems is that we want 'close racing' and 'overtaking' so the rule makers fiddle with creating a formula that creates artificially close racing and overtaking because appearance means more than anything substantial....