View Single Post
Old 24 Apr 2024, 23:52 (Ref:4206348)   #106
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
Finally again interesting how the Caddys are dominant in IMSA but struggling in WEC for performance
Let's do a little WEC and IMSA Cadillac comparison.

Looking at the average lap times from the most recent events in each. Also using the analysis from the Unified thread. In fact, now I think of it, I'll post this there. Here is the original post I quoted.

WEC
Cadillac are 0.04% (0.03s) slower than the average of the fastest car from BMW, and Porsche.
This put them 0.67% or (0.62s) slower than the fastest car in WEC (Ferrari).

IMSA
Cadillac are 0.32% (0.23s) faster than the average of the fastest car from BMW and Porsche.
This put them 0.27% or (0.20s) faster than the next fastest (Porsche).

Comparison to Porsche and BMW shows they are all pretty close in both, and overall everything is very close. So part of this is that everything is so close a little difference has a big impact, especially in WEC with the bigger field.

What is causing the difference? Potential things.
Comedy theories alert!

A. Difference in BoP between the series? This post here contains the difference between Power/Weight for IMSA and WEC. There is a similar situation in both. There is a small penalty for Cadillac in WEC v. IMSA relative to Porsche (less v. BMW).
Is this down to the approach (possibly) or compensation for the tracks (maybe).

B. Cadillac's commitment to the series. It is clear there is more relative effort in IMSA (relative to their competitors) is higher than WEC. More cars maximizes you getting the best out of it. The analysis above is comparing to the fastest car from any manufacturer. And in WEC that is Caddy's only car. Also how are the current team feeling about it all. It feels like every race is an away race in WEC.

C. Could be the random variations you get race to race, track to track, driver to driver, etc...

My guess is B, but A could be influencing it, and C makes it difficult to draw conclusions!