View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2024, 05:10 (Ref:4206479)   #159
Hedley Verity
Racer

United Kingdom
Hedley Verity should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
We are aligned on that one event is much more impactful and takes more resource than the others. For obvious reasons.

But that is different from not caring. Which is what I’m getting at. So I guess we are just have different use of the word caring here. Unless you are saying they genuinely don’t care (like) Motorsport. Which I guess you are not.

When I’ve been there both for clubbies and also horrible corporate crap those related to the circuit clearly inherently care for the sport. All of it. BTW they run the latter because they are a business. Doing so means it remains open to do what they care about.

Even if they do care a great deal they can’t put on an event that ain’t going to work for them. WEC came with too much (increasing) cost and baggage for reward to be viable.

They have to deal with the harsh realities of running the venue. We don’t, but I’m not so quick to dismiss them.

Also for what it is worth I really like racing there. Best place in UK to play high speed. So maybe that colors my judgement.
As a spectator rather than a competitor I feel that at best I am an irrelevance to the people running Silverstone.
Silverstone certainly gets some unfair criticism, there’s nothing they can do about the geography, and a crowd which looks fantastic at say, Spa, where the backdrop is green forest, looks terrible at Silverstone against a backdrop of empty grandstands.
I fully understand they won’t open many grandstands for an event like British GT, but a sign of the total lack of thought about the people paying to come in is which stands are opened. Every minor event I’ve been to has the wrong Woodcote stand open, the vast majority end up at one end trying to get a decent view of the Wellington straight and round Luffield. The stand to the right offers much better views but is always closed.
No-one at Silverstone has ever considered this, clearly, it’s obvious to anyone sitting there, they can’t have ever asked the punters which stands they want open, they’ve never looked over and wondered why everyone is crammed in at one end of the stand, those paying to spectate, and how to give them what they want are nowhere in the thought process.
That’s just one example , what they’ve done at Maggots is another.
For me Sunday would be a £100 day out with a 6 hour round trip, to get a substandard view of the races, so I’m staying at home and watching on the telly, I’ll be at Oulton the week after, and then onto Spa, various circuits throughout the season, but not Silverstone once.