Thread: WEC FIA WEC calendar
View Single Post
Old 30 Apr 2024, 12:11 (Ref:4207087)   #182
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand Silverstone's attitude to the F1 circus.

After all, you don't shoot the golden goose that pays for the upkeep and development of the facility.
Up to a point, I don't even mind the building of Escapade as I get the opportunity that it should provide.

Where I really struggle with the whole attitude of the people who run Silverstone on an event to event basis, is their complete disregard for the paying punters who don't want to shell out hundreds of £££ to watch F1 but do want to see some of the other national and international series.

I, like may others, spent the last weekend at the Silverstone 500 BGT meeting - firstly on Saturday as a spectator/photographer, and then on Sunday with my wife to watch the race. For the weekend, guess I spent somewhere in the region of £150 for tickets, fuel, beverages etc etc.

My frustrations with the place started immediately on entry. As at last years event, the tunnel under the paddock access road was blocked so, in order to reach the museum for a quick coffee, one had to cross the busy access road, and the walk further along the road whilst keeping an eye on traffic. For my mate and I, not an issue, but I did feel somewhat sorry for the elderly disabled gentleman on crutches who was clearly expressing his frustrations! Then to see, for the first time, the new Luffield Grandstand and associated two foot higher fence that 'protects' all of those 'lucky' ticket holders from the flying debris on the slowest corner of the track whilst removing one of the few fence free photo opportunities, just made my blood boil! Totally unnecessary!

Moving down to Club corner in front of the grandstand - a favourite photo spot as you could get close to the fence - only to find that access has been completely blocked by another row of fence and hoardings to even block the view! So onwards around Club, only to find that the old disabled viewing area that could be used on practice days has also gone - another place where fence free photography used to be possible.

But probably the biggest frustrations of all are the 'Free' grandstands! Aside from the fact that they are not 'free', why oh why if they are only going to open certain stands do they chose Woodcote B and the first stand at Copse?

Woodcote B is the biggest frustration as it prevents a view down the Wellington Straight - if they can only open one stand there, why not open Woodcote A which would allow the best view? And then at Copse, open the stand half way around the corner so as to afford a view down the straight and from Woodcote and towards Maggots further on!

We sat in Woodcote B for the race and spoke with a number of people around us who were equally frustrated. Just consider how many people might have been annoyed enough to prevent them attending again, or to tell others about how bad the experience is? Ah, sorry, I forgot! You don't give a s***!

Ultimately, these smaller meetings could/should be used as a taster of what Silverstone could offer if they wanted to and encourage people to possibly spend their hard earned money to go to the prestige events.
Would I go to F1 there? Not in a million years! Spa, Zandvoort, A1 Ring all offer much better facilities and even with travel cost offer better value for money!

Come on Silverstone, stop treating the paying public like second class citizens - there may come a time when you need us to survive!

HOME OF BRITISH MOTOR RACING? I don't think so ....... they really are not as good as their own hype suggests!

Last edited by Badlands99; 30 Apr 2024 at 12:17.