View Single Post
Old 13 May 2024, 07:56 (Ref:4208755)   #10
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK interesting point, thanks. It was the racing, the cars looked hard to drive, with proper gearboxes and turbo lag, tricky tracks, real personalities. Overtaking was real not fake, less petulant drivers, more men than footballer.

Was the racing better, in some ways yes, as you had to overtake properly, or wait for mistakes. Was it closer, not at all, often races were won by laps!

Was it still technically interesting, yes, there was more technology as it was all new, was it well done, probably no, as it was all new and the tech used to measure it was very basic.

A lot of that has been lost, the racing is very fake now, it still happens of course. But less so. The grid is closer yes, but the gaps at the end still seem huge between the haves and have nots. There as also romance, even garbage like Life, Andrea Moda, Forti Minardi you had a love for those teams do people love Haas? Not really.

And there is a misunderstanding from some posters I think, you can love many aspects of motorsport but not every part, especially when you once did! I don't really know why the interest has waned, it is a combination of cars, noise, racing and money.

I guess the hybrid era really was a killer, I recall watching the test at Jerez and seeing Ted stand by the track and talk normally while cars went by was a huge deal, I don't know why really as the V8's were not a nice sound were they? Very shrill and revvy, but there was noise.

I guess the reason for the question is that I am fascinated by what people see in modern F1, this new breed of fan, obviously this is not the place, as most people are just bitter and defensive at being asked!!

Honestly I am not complaining, I still appreciate the sport and see it as the pinnacle, I am merely asking people why they watch it.