Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 15 May 2024, 14:38 (Ref:4209042)   #4375
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
FOM: Perhaps reconsidering the whole hybrid idea, when sustainable fuel make the argument of hybrid moot?:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...oise/10611063/
I can't remember what thread it was in, but we were discussing this general topic of 2026 power unit direction and the post here was speculating that there was some waffling by FIA/FOM on the direction. I think I made the point that the article in that post was not about them considering changing the 2026 direction, but they are considering something much simpler for the next power unit specification. I think this is more of the same. It think its a good idea.

Quote:
Road car customers not digging the whole over the top hybrid concept?:
https://www-auto--motor--und--sport-...x_tr_hist=true
To be fair, I think "road car customers" is a bit broad. The article calls out AMG (performance cars) realizing that the performance segment still like their V8 engines. The rest of the driving public generally don't care one way or another. Whatever is under the hood is a black box to them.

Quote:
So the 2026 engine regulations adds another 34kg on top of the already heavy current hybrids.
Not really unexpected.

So I called out earlier that I think overall weight reduction is going to be a token amount. So this chart says power units grow by 34kg and chassis weight reduction is 40-50kg with total reduction in the 6-16kg range. That's pretty minimal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What’s the reason for the engine weight increases?
More power via the "K" side, so larger (heavier) component. Same with the battery, so larger (heavier).

Richard C