Thread: Can-Am Thunder
View Single Post
Old 3 Mar 2003, 14:43 (Ref:523506)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Luckily, I do remember seeing the Can-Am cars racing when they were current, though I was fairly young at the time. They certainly were incredibly cars, and are still incredible cars today.

I have also seem them driven recently in Historic Racing, and it is a wonderful experience. A few years ago, I was at Elkhart Lake for the Can-Am reunion, that assembled the largest number of cars on track ever. There were over 40 cars on the track at once, though I can't recall the exact number. The Saturday was a hot and humid day, and we watched on the downhill straight between turn 3 and 5. At one point you can get within about 8 feet of the track along the fencing, and the cars are VERY close to the edge of the track there. They were throwing off very visible vortexes of air off the wings, and the sound at full speed was incredible.

At Daytona, for the first year of the Historics there, the Bennett owned Shadow, the one with Oldsmobile Turbo engine was clocked at 227 mph on the banks, not too shabby.

Actually Keke, the cars normally do several events a year, typically Elkart and somewhere else.

The feature at Mosport this year should be fairly special, so that is one worth looking forward to.