View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2000, 14:23 (Ref:52399)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't agree that the old high volume marques are in trouble, just the ones that are run poorly are. General Motors have stayed afloat over the last 20 years in America based purely on customer loyalty. "My daddy owned Chevy's... so do I." Now with import cars looking much better and about the same price their customer base is dwindling. The biggest problem with GM is the top heavy executive branch of the mega-corporation is dragging them down. In the US, the ultra-lucrative light truck market was stolen from GM by Chysler and Ford a long time ago and they continue to maintain their stranglehold on it. Daimler-Chrysler has continued to make quick model changes every few years offering Mopar buyers the option for newer models every 4 to 5 years while GM continues to build the same old cars with a different set of headlights on it. The only problem facing Daimler-Chrysler is that the German executives have displaced all of the US executives that had turned Chrysler around and now they are struggling to understand the fickle US car market. In fact most of them have been scooped up by Ford.