View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2000, 15:50 (Ref:52405)   #4
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem as I see it with the UK car industry is that there's no-one making interesting cars any more. If you want to buy British, you're looking at Rover or Vauxhall. They make cars which are aimed at at mass markets, and people who buy British out of loyalty.

At the other end of the scale you have all the small British sports car companies, such as Marcos, Morgan, Caterham etc, which you can't really use for serious everyday use. You can't really imagine a rep pulling up in a Marcos Mantara and trying to sell you three packs of paper and a box of blue-ink biros, can you??

What I feel that the UK needs is a company making cars like the Alfa Romeo 156 or something, a car which just stands out a little without being too outrageous. Enthusiasts will buy British sports cars, and hire-car companies and fleet buyers will buy Vectras and Rover 45s by the truckload because they're cheap to buy / run / fix (yes I do know Vectras aren't cheap to fix, work with me here!!)#
The Rover 75 and the Vauxhall Omega will be bought by the Police forces and reps who don't earn enough to buy the corresponding BMW.