View Single Post
Old 10 Mar 2003, 11:31 (Ref:531182)   #59
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Sheene

I think it’s appropriate to record our sadness at the loss of Barry Sheene on this forum, as his last few races were at the Goodwood Revival meetings. My wife and I certainly feel saddened yet privileged to have watched his last two races at last years meeting. Those who were there would have seen what appeared to be two titanic battles with Wayne Gardener.

I say ‘appeared’ because both races were so close, and so perfect and story book like, that I’ve always wondered if they were choreographed. I mean, at Woodcote, on the last lap of the first race, they passed each other twice. They were actually leaning on each other as they tried to be first into the chicane. So if it was stage managed, it was a) incredibly skillful stuff, and b) still bloody hair-raising to watch! Boy, it was exciting.

We watched the second race from the straight just before St. Mary’s. At one point Gardener was in 9th place, and yet a few laps later was in the lead. My wife was absolutely amazed about this, and the only explanation I could offer was “I think they tend to do this sort of thing in bike racing.” We’re certainly not used to seeing racing like that in cars.

We enjoyed seeing both Sheene and Gardener in the paddock. Barry was his usual self, talking to everybody, signing autographs, posing for pictures with all he could.
We managed to have a good chat with Gardener as well. I don’t know, but bike racers just don’t seem to suffer from the same … preciousness? as car people.

Barry didn’t attend the prize giving afterwards, and Wayne conveyed Barry’s apologies, and spoke some kind words. It was very sad. The word had gone around that we had seen the last of him. Obviously, everyone hoped not, but we did wonder.

R.I.P. Barry Sheene. A man who brought pleasure to millions.