View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2001, 03:23 (Ref:56910)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was watching an episode of The Gentleman's Motor Racing Diary the other night, and was intrigued by the mention of a Connaught driver named Archie Scott Brown who had only one hand. I believe I've got the name right, but anyway, what came to mind was the RAF pilot, Douglas Bader, who had only one leg. I'm sure that a number of you are familiar with him. When I was younger, I was a real plane nut, and had read a book by Bader about his wartime experiences, and even saw him give a talk in Ottawa in the mid to late 70's.
While Bader had "only" to operate a rudder pedal with his false leg, I'm very curious how Brown could have competitively driven a race car, let alone compete at the F1 level. In this episode of 1957, one of the races covered was at Monza, with footage of them clouting around the banking, but unfortunately, Brown was not allowed by the Italian race officials to take part in the race.
If any of you know a bit more of this driver, I would be curious to hear some details...