View Single Post
Old 21 May 2000, 20:32 (Ref:6017)   #9
Hyacinth
Rookie

Hyacinth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz-

Salazar is from Chile. This post from 7thGear may explain why he doesn't have a lot of fans outside of his home country...

Posted by-

"Infinity"
Member posted 05-21-2000 10:58 AM
"Well, this wasn't CART, but it was CART equipment;-) In the 1996 Indy 500 Eliseo Salazar ran into and took out Arie Luyendyk exiting the pits under caution. There is debate over whether it was intentional or not. What WAS intentional is when Salazar, trying to defend the lead for his teammate late in the race, deliberately ran second place Davy Jones into the pitwall down the front straight on a restart. Allegedly he was ordered by team owner Andy Evans to do that. Fortunately for Jones he barely brushed the wall and finished second. In a bit of irony, Evans cars - Salazar and Zampedri (who had been leading when the incident took place) were taken out on a frightening last lap accident where Zampedri's car got airborn and would have gone into the stands had the catch fencing not done it's job. In car camera from Eliseo's car shows him ducking as Zampedri's car went over him. Sadly Zampedri suffered career ending injuries to his feet.
I know a lot of you on this board think I'm anti CART, but if it comes down to Salad Bar and one of the Ganassi cars at the end of the race, I'll be rooting all the way for TCG"