View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2003, 23:42 (Ref:651477)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weclome to the land of the real Yankees

Hey, 275 GTB-4.

I may be your best tourguide as I now live about 25 miles North of Boston and grew up in Rhode Island.

The closest track is a short oval for stock cars called Seekonk Speedway , in Seekonk, Massachusetts, 5 minutes east of Providence, Rhode Island. Its a pretty rough crowd but a slice of real Americana.

For road racing, Lime Rock Parkis about three hours west of Boston in the extreme northwest corner of Connecticut. The Berkeshire Mountains in which it is located, are lovely and have great roads.

North of Boston, the drive up route 1A would be fun as far as Ipswhich, which has some lovely old houses and the amazing Crane's Beach and Castle Hill. There is a very good Concours D'Elegance at the house every September if you are here. The roads around the beach are a great drive-and the Ice Cream is killer.

All of New Englnad is rolling green countryside. Vermont is the most lush and verdant-but it also has real mountains.

New Hampshire, has big mountains to the Northeast, and I've heard that the drive up Mt. Washington is a gas. For Motorsports, there is New Hampshire International Speedway , the NASCAR Winston and busch races sell out early, but you might be able to nail tickets.

Massachusetts is lower and rolling, with higher elevations to the west and Rhode Island is rolling lowlands, the southern part of New England having been formed by glacial run-off-the beaches are great and the water warmer than it is in Northern New England

Rhode Island is a very bizarre and wonderful place-the smallest of the States. Providence is worth your time, there is a festival called Waterfire on alternating Saturday nights that is worth the stop-its sublime and a real scene.

Newport of course has the mansions and beaches. Ocean drive is about 13 miles of great views and twisting road. East of Newport is Little Compton, a lovely unspoiled village, (get Johnnycakes and Clam cakes in the Common's Lunch) and by all means, get ice cream at Gray's Ice Cream in Tiverton Four Corners. There is also a nice vineyard and B&B in Little Compton, Sakonnet Vineyards.

To drive from Boston to Newport, go the easterly route taking Route 24 through Fall River, and if you are interested in ships, the USS Massachusetts a WWII Battleship is docked there along with several other retired warships.

Again the drive form Boston to Newport,hour is about 1 1/2 hours on the highways-more at rush hour and off the beaten track. From Newport back up to Providence, on routes 138 and 95, allow 45 minutes. Providence back to Boston 1 hour.

PM me if you want more info. Let me know when you are here maybe we can get a drink. I can give hotel recommendations and restaurants if you like.

A word on the Cav. its small and was an outdated design when new-don't expect blistering performance.

And a word to the wise. Boston drivers are considered to be the worst in the US. They never use turn signals, cut ahead using the emergency lane, refuse to merge-and never give the other guy a break. Also, we have a lot of Roundabouts, called "Rotaries" here, that are uncommon elsewhere in the US. The rule is the car IN the Rotary has the right-of-way-don't stake your life on it though. Avoid the Central Artery in boston from 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM and from 2:00 PM till 8:00 PM if you can avoid it. In Boston, take the "T".

Bon Voyage!