View Single Post
Old 28 Jul 2003, 01:48 (Ref:672874)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
perhaps the lesser teams do reuse and have a lower level of prep due to the experience of certain members, I can't imagine why anyone has toruble with spec engines this year, and basically the same chassis. of course you can imagine different fluids and measure meants may be used- a prepped team from canada will use proper metric ratchets and sockets, on an English built and designed (metric) Ford cosworth, and a newer guy from Indianapolis might use standard and metric, and use Ft.lbs to torque when the Nt/M is what should be used- small differences with equivalents however, these small differences add up within the stressed members leading to part failure, this can possibly be seen in fluid as Quarts and Litres will differ in there 'equivalancies' just a touch leadin to less or more than was required causing gearlockups, differential troubles and what have you.
or swapping metric and standard bolts, the thread matches the lentgh is the same but perhap the strength is off, or the thread is indeed .001 mm not correct and it causes a separation, a socket stripping and a whol housing to crack...