Thread: Juan to Toyota?
View Single Post
Old 8 Aug 2003, 09:31 (Ref:682654)   #34
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Juan does indeed have a hsitroy with Toyota. In 1999 Chip Ganassi used Honda engines befor ebeing offered big money to use Toyota engines. The things were hopeless and blew up frequently, but, coupled with Lola chassis and Juan's talents, won 3 times, whcih is where the 'Mon-Toyota' pun comes from.

As for this, I think it's quite possible that Toytoa will attempt to buy the leading talents, including someone like Adrian Newey or Rory Byrne, that seems to be the only way they try to compete.

Montoya will be seeing really encouraging signs from the team, they seem to be bulding faster cars than before and ahve now cracked the reliability much better. By 2005 they might well be in a position to challenge for wins. I don't think money really motivates Montoya, though the status and prestige that goes with it does, so I doubt he'd join a weak team just for a big sack of money.