View Single Post
Old 9 Aug 2003, 02:15 (Ref:683415)   #31
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
On his day, Al Jr could run with anyone (and he did). Should he have taken better care of himself? Absolutely.

If he were as described above he would have been injured or worse fairly quickly, either by the car or the other drivers. Fortunately I got to see him race before the problems began (that we all just recently have found out for sure) and I assure you, he was quick, agressive and absolutely relentless in running down and passing the guy in front of him.

I couldn't stand him, but he was a terrific driver and a great career was truly wasted by substance abuse. His daughter developing a paralytic condition, literally overnight, surely did not help. No need to hit him below the belt - he has absorbed and overcome more than any one man's share. I don't condone his actions, but there for the grace of God go I.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.