Thread: LM24 Le Mans Classic 2004
View Single Post
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:27 (Ref:756836)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cybersdorf, go see the event before dismissing it as pointless. I do declare, if the sight of the great cars on the 24 hour circuit does not stir your blood, I would urge you to check your pulse.

I don't subscribe to the view that the contest is any the less valid just because it is populated by privateers in historic cars. These competitors race as hard as anyone in the contemporary race and it is fair to say that some of the cream of the entry would probably not be keen to make the effort if the Classic were held on the Bugatti Circuit.

Besides, the Bugatti is set aside for displays of visiting classic road-cars, brought by the tens of thousands of spectators who are there specifically to see the Le Mans cars on the proper track.

As for antagonising the locals - well, apart from the industrial units on the Hunaudieres, just about everyone else wins. The hoteliers, the restaurateurs, the patisseries, even the supermarket in Monce en Belin get my business for a week which they wouldn't otherwise do.