View Single Post
Old 23 Oct 2003, 01:51 (Ref:760167)   #66
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure, I know a lot that use MF as well. But I like AF and with the newer lenses and AF systems on the latest high end cameras, the AF can keep up with even some of the fastest cars.

Of course there are times when you have to use MF. If I am trying to hit a front on or going away shot where the car will just be popping into the frame and the AF does not have time to lock on. Low light like at dusk of a night race.

But even with pans I can use AF because I begin to follow the car for as long as I can to get the pan down, by allowing the camera to start follow focusing, it will be tack sharp (at least as far as focus is conerned) when I need to shoot. Head on and going away shots where I can follow the car for a bit are also easily done with AF.

But I have to say that I use pro bodies and Nikon AF-S lenses, so they are as fast as it gets for the most part when it comes to focusing. I might feel differently if I were using consumer lenses an lower bodies. Also if you are using a F4, you dont have the latest AF system and that could be part of the issue.

I think you'll find that most top end cameras and lenses from Nikon and Canon have enough speed to keep up with some of the fastest sports.