View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2003, 16:35 (Ref:765869)   #22
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
How many drivers who've been on the RDD have ended up driving in the Renault (or connected to Renault)F1 team?
I don't have to mention Motagny, José MarÃ*a López will definitely test the RenaultF1 car before the end of this year and in V6 he was very-very impressive too.Well especially his pace, he still can improve on the racing part but he is a true champion of V6.Adrián Vallés is also quite likely to sample the ReanultF1 power this year, he is the youngest and probably the quickest RDD driver, true that now he has to fight really hard for the SWS Light title since a couple of bad races removed him from the leading position of the point standings.

Quote:
I mean look at McLaren's experience with Nick Heidfeld...

Why? From Mclaren point of view what is the problem with the Heidfeld-experience? Unlike most of the RDD guys Heidfeld was always dazzlingly fast and prominently racing in whichever formula they put him.German and European champion of Formula Ford 1800cc and 2000cc, German and International (Monaco) champion of Formula 3, International champion of Formula3000 where he became vice-champion in his rookie year which fairly outstanding in F3000 -I can only think of JPM who was so much on the pace as an F3000-rookie- (and perhaps the 4th place of Zonta and Alonso).In F1 he immediately matched the pace of the most experienced driver Alesi, then outqualified and outraced now Mclaren's number one Kimi, then outqualified and outraced now Ferrari's bigest hope Felipe.So basically what's your problem with him? You base your opinion on his -indeed not too fascinating- performance in 2003 and ignore the previous 9 seasons? He was just damn unlucky with his car and pit- strategies, but just for the record he still finished or DNFed 11 (!) races ahead of HHF and outqualified HHF 9 to 7.In my opinion Nick is a very bad example for why a young-driver development program is bad from an F1 team point of view.
Why Mclaren picked Kimi instead of him is another story but Nick did what he could his preF1 CV only compares to JPM's one and he doesn't really have to be ashamed of his F1 career so far.