View Single Post
Old 24 Dec 2003, 18:10 (Ref:820128)   #46
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is the same as what was posted on the tainternetleague.
I took some of the cost related info out of the memo. From what I can tell interest is gaining some momentum in the new series.

Talking Points For a New Road Race Series

November 16, 2003

Overview: Currently a large field of tube frame GT style cars exists with out an owner friendly venue. The field consists of Grand-Am GTS, Trans-Am and SCCA GT-1 cars. The cars are colorful, high horsepower, purpose built, tube frame, composite bodied, racecars, with silhouettes resembling American Muscle Cars. Currently slight variations exist from the various sanctioning bodies.

After discussions with several drivers, and car owners there is support for a new series featuring GTS/ Trans-Am/GT-1 type cars.

Initial Input: The series could combine sprint and endurance weekends with most of the races being sprint races. The goal would be to maximize track time for everyone. A typical weekend would encompass a practice/tune day and a race day. Race day would include a short practice, qualifying, a short heat race, and a feature. The feature would typically be a tank of gas. If there is enough interest a couple of three to four hour enduros could be added through out the season.

Additional consideration includes: Travel distances (does the series stay regional?). Is a summer series sufficient or do we expand to points south to extend the season?

Issues: Formation of sanctioning body, creating specs that would allow every competitor the opportunity to win, track time, budgets, funding, profile (is the target a high profile, professional series?).

Current Status: Discussions to date have provided the following possibilities.

· Track time is available as follows:

o Road Atlanta Easter weekend (three days)

o Carolina Motor sports Park Weekends May and June

o Lime Rock June 89db limit cost detail to follow*

o Summit Point (to be determined)

o Pocono Long course August/July weekend*

o Watkins Glen weekend, end of Sept.*

o Discussions with Barber Dodge Pro series may have three or more dates next year for a co-sanctioned event (discussions infant stage).

· Board of Directors discussions

o Irv Hoerr

o Bob Sharp

· Insurance

o Currently Seeking Quotations

· Legal Entity

o Seeking Counsel

Conclusions: Without much effort: it appears that interest wise there is critical mass, track time in one form or another is available.

Action: I am looking for input and commitments to show up for some or all of the proposed races. And as interest grows I will be seeking membership subscriptions.

Please take the time to consider the series and forward input to me. Also share the memo with anyone you know that has coincidental equipment and interest.

Woodson Duncan

Sky Blue Racing

121 Middlebrook Farm Road

Wilton, CT 06897

wbduncan@optonline.net