View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2004, 17:36 (Ref:825214)   #69
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
GP & Gt, you guys don't trust PG or OWRS, yet you're willing to put your FULL TRUST in Tony George:confused: What's up with that??? It makes no bloody sense at all!!!
Its not that I trust TG anymore than PG Dov, but I can see the writing on the wall.(I'm a real visionary, you know!)

The momentum is definetly with George. If you look at the the IRL, they've got the money, the sponsors, the manufacturers, the tracks, a great TV deal, ESPN and ABC, they've got drivers with name recognition, and quite a few are American drivers, which I feel is important, and Champ Cars doesn't. That said, the IRL has problems, but nothing close to what OWRS is facing.The only thing OWRS has in its favor is the road/street races which we love, but I think the IRL could take them on and do it well.

After all that I've read, I can't help but think that PG is in this thing to buy CART cheap, make it look attractive, and sell to George to make a profit. Look at his business plan, its almost exactly like Pooks! What's going to change? Motorock, drifting, and Spike TV aren't going to turn this ship around. He has stated on many occasions that having one series is the only way to go. He's a businessman first, and he has no history with Champ Cars, so I'm not buying his story about doing it because he loves the series. Look what he did to Trans Am!

I see the future of racing in North America this way: NASCAR, the IRL and Grand Am will be the dominant factors in the future. It will be the "Big 3" so to speak. It will have sports cars, open wheel cars and tin top cars covered. It will provide simple to follow, simple rules, and above all else close racing with alot of passing. Thats what the younger generation will be looking for.

Thats the picture the way I see it...