View Single Post
Old 31 Mar 2001, 04:11 (Ref:83472)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To add a little balance to Ray's arguement, he is dead right, the V8s have suffocated many of the lower classes of the sport. And there are stats to prove it.

Also some of the best racing I have ever seen has been from the Historic Group N boys and girls... I really do wish I came into the earth a whole 25 years before I did- I couldn't start to imagine what these cars would have been like on the tyres of the day...

Saying that, V8s are what the people like, the sound good, they look fantastic, and every so often they can put on a brilliant race. Look at the Konica meeting, race 3 at Lakeside last year (sorry I keep bringing it up). A real David Vs Goliath, fight to the end- not too many guys have the bravery to be rubbing panels at 220km/h, especially at a place like Lakeside.

Now my life is devoted to promoting state level racing, and i guess the best example to all you folk on the net would be at http://www.qrda.asn.au. What we've found over the years is that you have to strike a balance between club motorsport and V8s. We have a dedicated local audience, and then we have the masses who come in for things like the V8 Tipping Comp. Hopefully, these people will stay, and look around at what the lower classes of the sport have to offer.