Thread: gt1 and gtp
View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2004, 16:46 (Ref:868413)   #18
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by LC2guy
However, if Porsche hadn't come out with the 911 GT1 , we may never have witnessed ( even for just 2-3 years ) such cars as the Mercedes CLK, Long Tail McLaren , Panoz GTR , Toyota GT1 , Porsche GT1 Evo Etc. All these responded to the new Porsche moving the Goal Posts. And anyone who witnessed these cars in the flesh will agree, they looked and sounded far superior to any GT spec cars we have around today. ( only "In my opinion" of course ). Still, i can't wait to see the new Generation of GT cars.
I cannot see why some continue to blame Porsche for anything here. Porsche merely continued to do what they had alway done with production cars, it was really just a continuation of the style that had started with the 935. I.e. take a production car and see what can be done with its platform. Porsche did not move any goal posts, they did what was normal for their style.
Merecedes didn't move the goal posts either, they built a new ball park and created a new league.
If what Porsche did was so earth shattering Dodge would not have tried GT1 with the Viper. It was Mercedes building a sports racer with a roof, because they did not have car worth modifying, that was the beginning of the end.
Bob