View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2004, 19:34 (Ref:883123)   #54
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
I can see his point of view though... I'd love to do Walsh but the series I do don't get invited (we seem to be invited just about everywhere else though)
But has anyone asked (or more correctly, answered!!) the question that is so obvious?????

If YOU (as an organising club) have the choice:

Use our limited days to invite:

Bitish and Midland rounds (which all attract good, even huge crowds) against some championship (NO offence meant here) that maybe the general (entrance money paying) public have not heard of, which would YOU choose as a club?

Shelsley (as in the Midland Automobile Club) have been trying to get more and more cars up the hill (during the set hours of a racing day) to increase their revenue from competitors. This I can understand, from an organising club's point of view, but it is sometimes done to the detrement of the marshals. ie, none or very short lunch breaks.

The problems that they have at Shelsley are set in history....

1) the venue does not (and won't in the forseeable future) have a return road and so CANNOT (even if they want to) run more than a certain amount of cars per day...

2) They only have a limited numder of days that they can run meetings and so HAVE to maximise their income from these days....

3) They (The MAC) have also been "dragged-into-the 21st-Century" by being made to realise that marshal's matter!!!
This was started by their last Chief Marshal (at Shelsley) and has since been carried on by the current Chief.

So the result is?

Quote:
Then there is always the case of "over egging" the pudding. If they put on more events would it devalue the existing formats? Would the large attendance diminish per meeting and the MAC end up having the same gate spread across more meeeting? Not economic that last one is it really?
Just like all Motorsport Clubs, the MAC has to at least break-even and then hopefully make a profit!! This is just the way that the world works now.

I will be the first to say (IMHO) that the MAC could and should make changes to further encourage marshals but......

and this is a BIG BUT......

I will NOT put them down for chosing the most profitable route when deciding what championships or classes they decide to invite to their limited events!!

The MAC, just like H&DLCC, BOC et all, are NOT charities and should not be viewed as such.

I would love to see more cars, different championships, new classes but at the moment that is not a viable option at many venues these days.

And let's not forget Fireblade's comment:

Quote:
The joke wears a bit thin watching a class of 27 Ginettas making four runs a day at such venues like Loton for example.
A very valid point because, venues not only have to attract competitors and paying public, they also need to attract marshals !!!!