View Single Post
Old 10 Mar 2004, 02:51 (Ref:900352)   #48
BoatOwner
Rookie

BoatOwner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm saying exactly what you're saying. i just said that top speeds dont impress. Many people go around saying oh top speed is at 200kph, or 130 or 110, and i hate it when people ask "whats the top speed?." I dont know and i dont care. Thats all i was saying. I wasn't dissing long track racing in any way. Thats what i was saying, "the corners are where its at" regardless of what you are driving or where.

Even racers place way too much emphasis on the trap speeds at the end of a straight. Its much more important how fast you get to the trap than how fast you are going when you are there.

As for the "wimp" it was just a friendly dig at tas 'cause he said that short track shifter racing is a pain, literally.

Yeah i have a couple karts in our team that i use(Rotax Max, Parilla Leopard, Vortex 100cc Reed Water Cooled on 100cc chassis') but no long track to really run them on. The only track nearby is Sepang, and i'd imagine thats just far too big a track for any of these engines(two 1km straights). And i'd probably need to fit front brakes before going on a long track(?). We might be doing a couple of races in the US this year(if we ditch a race in japan) so if i get the chance i'll go try a long track if there is one near our sprint race.

and as for engine... i said its more about the engine than the driver relative to sprint kart racing. A good engine will give you more of an advantage on a long track than the same engine advantage on a short track simply because a long track asks a lot more from the engine. At least i think so but then i've never driven a kart on a long track so i guess i'm in no position to say anything, i'm going by what i've heard and what i've read.